You want your website to be successful and attract potential visitors via search engines? Then you need to think about how your website will appear in the search engine results. So-called metadata helps search engines to classify your content properly. By filling the corresponding fields in your cockpit, you can effectively support search engines in categorizing your content. And this can be rewarded with improved rankings.
In this article, we'll help you to make the necessary adjustments to tune the search results for your website.
- First thoughts
- About metadata
- Enter metadata for the Home page or any content page
- Enter metadata for product pages
Entire books have been written on this subject. So it's hard to consider everything that concerns SEO and metadata. We recommend you to focus on the following points:
- Think about the keyword(s) through which you want to be found in search engines.
- The more generic the page title and the greater the competition, the lower the chances of being ranked on the first pages. So it's better to choose something like "Exquisite sparkling champagne from South England" than just "Champagne".
- With all the effort to achieve a good ranking, keep in mind that page title and description are supposed to encourage a potential customer to buy.
In your cockpit you can enter specific content for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) purposes. Page name and meta description can be filled in for your Home page, for any content page, or product page.
Search engines use relevant information from the metadata to display search engine results. This includes items such as page name and meta description. In your cockpit, you can find metadata fields in the Editor under Page settings as well as in Products > any product page.
The page name or page title (on the internet often referred to as "title tag" or "title element") is displayed as a title link in search engine results. It gives the user a first insight of what the page is about. Thus, the page name should be meaningful and informative so that it offers additional value for the user.
Every page should have a unique name, ideally starting with a relevant keyword.
You can enter up to 70 characters, but we recommend to use less than 60 characters. Titles that are too long are cut off by search engines. Furthermore, search engines might alter your provided title for other reasons, for example, if they classify your title as obsolete or inaccurate. Learn more in the section Avoid common issues with <title> elements of this Google Search help article.
The meta description is displayed as a short, descriptive text and should be added to every page of your website, including your Home page, content pages, and product pages.
It is currently possible to enter up to 160 characters. Search engines will often cut off longer meta descriptions. If you have added a longer description in the past, you can keep it, as long as you don’t make any changes. If you started making changes, but want to keep the previous version, select Cancel and confirm your decision by selecting Discard changes and leave.
Once you have entered a page name and meta description, you will get a preview of how it will most likely look in the search engine results:
Enter metadata for the Home page or any content page
You cannot enter metadata for legal pages.
If you decide to equip your Home page or any other content pages with metadata, this is what you'll do:
- In the sidebar of your cockpit, navigate to Editor.
- Under Pages, in the area Content Pages, find the page you'd like to edit, and select .
- In the section Search Engine Entry, select Edit.
- In the field Page title, enter the page name along with meaningful keywords that best represent your page.
- In the field Meta description, enter a brief and meaningful text to describe the page.
While typing your text, you can see the immediate result in the preview area.
- Select Save.
Enter metadata for product pages
If you want to equip your product pages with metadata, this is what you'll do:
- In the sidebar of your cockpit, select Products.
- Select the product you'd like to edit.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page until you find the Search engine entry card.
By default, the fields Page title and Meta description are empty. The software then uses the entries from the product name and description on the Basics card for SEO purposes.
- In the field Page title enter a unique title. In the best case it goes well with your website name.
- In the field Meta description enter a brief and meaningful text to describe the product.
While typing your text, you can see result immediately in the preview area.
- Select Publish.